APTA is the Adastral Park Twinning Association. It is open to all BT employees and former employees in the Ipswich area, as well as employees of other companies with offices at Adastral Park.
Twinning is all about exchange visits and getting to know foreign cultures and languages. It’s a great way of making friends in other countries. People take part for all sorts of different reasons, but the original reason twinning started was to bring people together from different countries after WWII to help make war less likely in future.
APTA is twinned with France Telecom’s Amiens section in France, and Deutsche Telecom’s Darmstadt section in Germany. We have regular exchange visits, alternating each year, such that each year we travel to either France or Germany once and act as hosts once. Plus through the wider twinning scheme there are plenty of other varied events and destinations you can experience.
Highlights from the Winter 2014 Newsletter …
All members and any non-members are welcome to attend any committee meetings, offer suggestions or volunteer to be co-opted for a specific twinning activity.
The following activities are planned for 2015:
Twinning from Darmstadt, Germany – Wednesday 18 June to Sunday 22 June 2015
Now is your chance to sense the flavour of twinning through an easy introduction of being a host at all the events. Nearly all our guests speak good English so your German speaking capabilities can be nil. The Germans are always very keen to visit us, so if you have never participated before you can be assured of a very friendly warm experience. The provisional programme is as follows:
- Wednesday 18 – arrival day
- Thursday 19– environmental visit
- Friday 20 – cultural visit
- Saturday 21 – midsummer barbecue
- Sunday 22 – departure day.
Twinning to Amiens, France – Friday 22 to Tuesday 26 August 2015 (Bank Holiday weekend)
The dates of the visit to our friends in Amiens, in the Picardy region of Northern France, are finalised. Amiens is less than two hours drive from Calais. Now is your chance to participate as a guest. There will be a full programme of activities organised for the Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Please advise Tony as soon as possible of your intent to join us so that all the guests can be matched with hosts well in advance. No prior experience is necessary. Look at our website www.apta.org.uk for an article on earlier visits. The provisional programme is as follows:
- Friday 22 August – arrival day,
- Saturday 23 August – a programme of events at Amiens.
- There will be an additional option for people who wish to see a special ‘son et lumière’ event: the lighting of the cathedral
- Sunday 24 August – the muches of Domqueur, Saint Riquier and a special village, Long
- Monday 25 August – a visit to Gerberoy, one of the nicest villages in Picardy
- Tuesday 26 August – departure day
- Arabic language course, Marrakesh, Morocco, April 2015
- Visit to Brest, France, 9 – 12/04/15
- Twinning visit to Darmstadt, Germany – 27 – 31/05/15
- Walking in the Atlas Mountains, Marrakesh, Morocco, From 31/05/15 – 7/06/15
- OSCAR (cycling and walking event), Slubice, Poland, Wed 10th June to 14th June/15
- Canoeing in Poland on the river Drawa or l’Obra, Sat 27th June and Sun 28th June/15
- Horse riding week in Orava (Árva) Slovakia, Sun 28th June to Sun 5th July/15
- 26th Italian International Balloon meet, Todi, Umbria, Italy, Sun 19th July to 2nd August/15
- Chambley hot air balloon meet, Lorraine, France, Fri 24th July to Sun 2nd Aug/15
- Private hot air balloon meet, Velen, Germany, Sun 2nd August to Sun 9th August/15
- Twinning visit from Amiens, France – Fri 28th August to Tue 1st September/15 (BH weekend)
- Hiking and cycling at Nysa-Odra/15 Zgorzelec / Görlitz, Poland, Wed 9th to Sun 13th Sept’/15
- BTITF English language course, Oxford, England, 20th to 26th Sep /15
- Irish hot air balloon championships, Eire, Sat 19th Sept – Sun 27th Sept/15
- Visit to Madeira, Wed 14th to Sun 18th Oct/15
- Sunshine in Benidorm, Spain, from Sun 8th to Sat 14th Nov /15
French lessons – lunchtime at Adastral Park – all year
Learn Spanish – lunchtime at Adastral Park – all year
Language courses – Europe – all year – 2015 courses